11st Seminar on Gravitational Waves and Numerical Relativity
- Date: Dec. 14 (Tue.), 2021, 2 pm - 5 pm
- Venue: Meeting room at 1st floor, Sejong Hall, KASI
- Title: A Gentle Introduction to Finite Element Method and its Application to Partial Differential Equations
- Speaker: Lim, Roktaek (Hong Kong Baptist University)
- Abstract: This talk is an introduction to the basic idea of finite element method. The finite element method is a numerical method for approximating the solution to differential equations and it is used in a wide range of areas. The finite element method obtains approximate solutions to differential equations by the combination of variational methods and piecewise polynomial approximation. This talk also illustrates how to implement the finite element method for solving elliptic, parabolic, and hyperbolic partial differential equations.